Mmm is there anything more comforting than mac and cheese? How about mac and cheese that you know you can enjoy because it’s dairy-free AND it’s a complete meal because it’s got a hefty amount of protein and fibre? Ummm…sign me up!
I was so excited to use the new Chickapea Organic Elbows especially with the amazing nutritional benefits that they offer. Chickapea was generous enough to gift me some extra boxes so I’m excited to offer THIS GIVEAWAY over on my IG page for you to get a free box of Chickapea Organic Elbows! The giveaway will close on Monday October 11, 2021 at 11:59 PM EST.
Check out the recipe below to enter into dairy-free mac and cheese heaven. 😉
Chickapea Mac and Cheese Broccoli Casserole
- 1 cup sweet potato (I used frozen, cubed sweet potato to save time)
- 1 medium-large carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 box Chickapea elbows
- 2 broccoli heads, cut into florets
- 1/2 cup gluten-free or spelt bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup cold vegan butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8-1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3/4-1 cup water, depending on desired thickness
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Steam sweet potato, carrot and onion for about 15 minutes until soft.
- Meanwhile, cook the Chickapea elbows according to the package directions.
- In a blender, add the steamed veggies and the rest of the cheese sauce ingredients. Blend until creamy.
- Combine the pasta with the cheese sauce and the broccoli. Pour into a casserole dish or other oven-safe pot.
- Mash the butter with the garlic and bread crumbs until you have a clumpy crumble mixture. Sprinkle this over the top of the mac and cheese mixture and bake uncovered for 10 minutes. Then, broil the top for 2-3 minutes to brown the topping.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy immediately.
Best enjoyed on the day of cooking.
Did you make this recipe?